Questions & Answers - Buildings are the new Streets
Disclaimer: This is an archived version of the once interactive
session pad with content from conference attendees. Please note that
some information was lost during the transformation (i.e. the edit
history, user colours, the chat and some formatting).
Back to session page
- Who is speaking?
- Danijel Schorlemmer
- Felix Delattre
- chair: Miriam Gonzalez (@mapanauta)
- If you had to make a prediction, when do you think building data
would be mostly mapped? 1 year? 2 years? Or more?
- Have you considered this week’s release of UK government IDs
(“UPRNs”) for every “property”, as open data?
- Could you talk a bit on how you estimate building occupancy from the
data (for the ones that are not tagged)? Thanks!
- do you use Infraa-red images for that ?
- Privacy is a concern of many, have you considered this, is there a
way for people to say “I don’t want my building listed” or a way to
say, let’s use it but anonymise it?
- (But they are from satellites, so not personal?)
- (but they are visible from street ?)
- I didn’t say it’s logical ;)
- (indiebio: I am interested in metadata, energy use, water use,
[computed] water harvest or green energy potential from roof
area - when does this become a ‘privacy’ issue? I don’t know but
this is feedback I have received before…)
- (it’s fine, we can leave this for external discussion,
- For me it is about public good vs private rights, maybe.
- What do you consider a building? For example, are
temporary/makeshift/informal settlements or buildings under
construction considered a building?
- What was the thinking behind hosting your code on Debian’s Salsa? Is
it Debian related?
- Great to see people using it! Open, free, inclusive. :)
- You say that you detect tagging errors. Have you thought about
giving this back to mappers, so they can fix it?
- do you have examples of tagging errors ? is it just typo?
- (comment: you can give back the errors, not the fixes)
- Canada was trying to map all its buildings in OSM by 2020 - do you
know if this was achieved or will be finished in the year?
- What is your refresh schedule for pulling OSM data?
- What is the URL of GitLab / GitHub repository of the project ?
- Or for the project itself?
- Expect big resistance: many buildings in certain countries are
actually illegal according to local laws, so will be quite
- Glad you are putting buildings in their right places (I hope). For
me doing it by hand in iD, the offsets due to misaligned imagery are
many meters … which one only finds out years later. We iD mappers
just can’t tell which imagery is correct: Bing, Maxar, etc. Flip a