Questions & Answers - The State of OpenStreetMap in Africa
Disclaimer: This is an archived version of the once interactive
session pad with content from conference attendees. Please note that
some information was lost during the transformation (i.e. the edit
history, user colours, the chat and some formatting).
Back to session page
Add questions here
- Did the video start at the begining?
- no, unfortunatelly due to technical issues, the first few
minutes of the talk were not streamed. the speaker also does the
presentation live, because for related technical reasons, the
pre-recorded video could not be played back. sorry for the
inconvenience - sotm team
- Hmm, have him upload a final version soon, perhaps.
- Is there an official OSM Morocco association?
- There is an official OSM Morocco association with a few
contibutors but not a real community
- Has it gone off again?
- It stopped for me.
- +1 Enock
- Audio ‘s tab is working
- Is there a link to the video anywhere? And the slides?
- … yes
- It will be very useful if the survey data or slides can be
- How many people were surveyed and how did you reach out to them? I
may have missed this in the talk.
- Do you have any data on gender?
- And any data about what is being mapped? Particularly urban vs
rural? % Mapping for particular purposes ie flood resilience,
- How can the OSM better community support the community in Africa?
- Which governments have been particularly supportive of OSM? and
which particularly unsupportive (if you are able to say publicly?)
- This list of challenges is great.
- Whats the state/progress of having OSM Africa communities being
official OSM chapters under the OSMF(we are at zero at the moment)
What are the barriers? He just answered :)
- Interesting about who had/hadn’t applied for the Microgrants. Do you
think Microgrants will be an important thing for the OSM Africa
community in future? Only if people are members of OSMF!
- // I think there is a misconception about Free and Open Source
(quality of free not good? maybe?)
- Is it possible to have chapters not require a bank account. This is
a primary hindrance to chapter formalization. It requires
incorporation which can be onerous, and potentially undesireable.
- No - Enock - why? indiebio financial record ? How do they
manage funds? - Enock
- What are you on the challenges facing to sustain volunteers?